Saturday, December 11, 2010

Follow Up Story on Huberman

This afternoon I called my friend Huberman, who's mom I helped take to the hospital. I asked him to give me some more information about what happened with his mom and how his living situation is. This is what he told me:

"When I was at the hospital I just prayed a lot. The doctor gave me some prescriptions for my mom and they said that she might have an infection in her stomach because she was having acid reflex. She stayed over night in the hospital and it cost me 700 Haitian dollars, which is about 88 US Dollars. The next day I took her to the clinic I work at and we gave her another IV. My mom's taking so many medications, I'm not too smart on medicine, so we gave her pills and vitamins. She doesn't have Cholera, she might have an infection and was very dehydrated the other day. We gave three IV's and now she starting to feel better. I have some more exams to do for my mom, but I don't have the money. She's resting now and trying to eat and drink some good water, but she's not doing it enough.

My house... we are planning to move, but I can't move because I don't have money. We have a deadline to leave the land, and I am planning to put up a tent in my yard where I'm going to go, but we have to move so it's hard right now. I have two properties, I used to live on one of them, but my house fell down there. I've tried to sell it but no one wants to buy property full of rubble. My other property has walls for a house but no covering, and I don't have money to put a covering over it. I'm probably going to get a tarp and cover it, but I have a nice tent that was given to me so I will set it up there as well."

When I met Huberman, he told me about his dream to start a school and study to be a doctor. He told me that Haiti's only real resource is it's children and he wants to help raise up children who are educated and love the Lord. I am amazed by this friend I have because his life is so hard... I can barely comprehend how he is able to live. Yet, everyday or so when he calls me... I ask him how he's doing and he tells me, "I'm doing great by the grace of God." I told him that I am leaving in a few days and he told me that he'd miss me a lot and... this stuck me... his mother wanted to see me again before I left. I hope to see her tomorrow... pray the roads are clear and safe.

1 comment:

  1. You are such a remarkable young man, Jonny. Well done. These are stories that will carry on for a lifetime! Please email me at mlcapehart@gmail.com so I can find out how to get the money directly to Huberman to help with his mom's bills!

    ReplyDelete