Monday, December 6, 2010

Coffee In Haiti

Two weeks ago, the mother of a Haitian friend of mine, Huberman, gave me a great gift.While I've been in Haiti I have searched and talked with many people about finding available land with coffee already grown. With this in mind, this "madam" (woman) traveled up a very long and steep road to find coffee for me. She ended up plucking and cleaning about a pound of coffee beans to show that she had found land with coffee. It was such a surprise and blessing to know that this woman has been thinking about me and wanted to help me.

Today, I went up to the land and met the farmer who I nicknamed, Oregon. I walked throughout the whole land, which we figured out was about 10 acres. It had lots of coffee trees, bananas, oranges, and many other exotic fruits I have never seen. As we journeyed through the coffee jungle I couldn't help but render the thought of how this place could eventually become a great blessing to Haiti, as it would provide many jobs for people. With a bit of cleanup, some training, some communicating, and organization, I pray that this dream would become a reality.

As our time in the coffee land ended, my Haitian friend, Huberman, received a call from a family member that his mother (my "madam") had become very sick... throwing up and not able to hold any food or water down. With this news, Huberman became very distraught. We planned to drop Huberman off at the bottom of the hill, but our plans quickly changed as we drove up to his tent camp and picked up his mom and brought her to the hospital. When we arrived at where his mother lived, five of us huddled into her 5x5 ft. tend and began to pray God's healing for her. After that we loaded her up in our tap-tap, and I witness such awesome community as five or so other woman began to gather and provide pillows and blankets for her ride in the back of the tap-tap. All eyes where turned towards this scene as a woman who has become an overseer, nurturer, and caretaker for this tent camp, become impaired by sickness.

Tonight I pray for a great work to be done, while fully knowing that God can do anything. I pray for deep impact in that hospital as a woman who is covered in prayer enters the atmosphere of a depressing place of sickness and disease. And I pray for healing, healing, healing in Jesus name. It breaks my heart to see someone become so frail that they couldn't walk and that someone so undeserving of sickness would be overtaken by it. Especially, when it's a woman who has cared about me and shown great thankfulness just at my presence. "Lord watch over your children tonight."

No comments:

Post a Comment