Monday, November 15, 2010

Appreciation

It's been awhile since we've been able to write about something that we've noticed or about something that has happened to us. However, I felt like I'd shed some light on what I've observed concerning the hearts of Haitians. For all the people who have not been to Haiti, one of the first things that will impact you (if you're there on a Sunday) is seeing their thankfulness and worship. During most teams (that are here for a short time) debriefing meetings on Sunday night, I always hear them talk about the how they are amazed by the Haitian's grateful hearts and how much they love to worship. They watch in awe as a people who have lost so much and live with so little are so 'stinking' thankful and joyful. It almost makes the American jealous, because they have so much and continue to need more in order to feel some joy. Like the little boy who is happy playing with a cardboard box, while the girl who has her own pony continues to whine and cry about how she never gets what she wants.

When I have had the opportunity to meet some Haitians, one of the first things they always say to me is, "Thank you." They are so thankful that I would give up everything that I have in America and pay to come help out this country. They don't even know what I'm really doing here or how I am helping, but their attitude is of gladness, not resentment (which I think I'd feel if someone came to my neighborhood to help make it better).

Today a team here went out to a neighborhood about a block away and put on a little church service for mostly children. While I was there I talked with two brothers and they shared with me about how they appreciate that we came and did that service. One of the boys (who is 26 years old) explained to me that he would not be able to put on a service like we did, yet he knows that people need to know about Jesus. I responded by telling him, we aren't coming to Haiti to do anything for them, but help empower them to help each other. He didn't quite understand what I was saying at first so I gave him an example. I leaned over and picked up a rock, and said "I don't need to pick this up. I want to help you be able to pick up this rock." So, I took his hand and helped him bend over and had him pick up the rock. I told him, "This is empowering." He laughed and said, "You are a very good teacher." At that moment, I think it clicked in him what my heart is, and he was very thankful. I was surprised after this, because he kept talking about how he needs us and would not relent about how our assistance is needed. I think his response was coming from appreciation that we were there and he wanted me to know what we were doing was important. He did not want me to feel like I wasn't needed or felt insignificant. To me it seemed like such a thing of beauty for him to give me so much credit and have so much confidence in me, that I was doing good in this country. Definitely a different heart than I have experienced in the states, where their is such a mentality of self gain or self good.

Sorry this is getting long but a couple verse just popped into my head:

"Then he [Jesus] said to them all: “If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it. What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit his very self?" - Luke 9:23-25

"Instead, God chose things the world considers foolish in order to shame those who think they are wise. And he chose things that are powerless to shame those who are powerful." - 1 Corinthians 1:27

No comments:

Post a Comment